CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Singing!

Yay! I’m so excited about this blog! My awesome sister, Christena, started it and I’m excited to read it and write in it. I don’t really feel like I’m going to have very much good input because I only have one child and he’s only 8 months old. BUT I guess I have a couple things to share.

I absolutely love music! Especially singing and playing the piano. I got a degree in music education and love teaching music and being involved in it so it seems like I would naturally just sing to my kids right?

Wrong.

When my baby boy was first born he was having trouble eating so the at-home care nurse told me to sing to him to help him to relax while he was eating and it just felt awkward at first. I think part of it was that she was there and I didn’t want to sing in front of her.

But as time went on I realized I was making up a lot of silly little songs just perfect for diaper changes, feedings, and bedtime but I was singing in a silly voice and the words were equally silly but the baby seemed to respond and he’d quiet down, listen, and smile when I’d sing.

So now I sing to him regularly, especially while I’m trying to shovel bites of veggies down his throat and at bedtime. Tonight he was in an especially hyper mood after his bath so I started using my “trained” singing voice and sang real life songs (you know, ones that someone else already came up with) that were soothing and more low-key. He stopped wriggling and just looked at me as I sang and got little smiles on his face. It was such a special moment and I felt so close to my little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment